Eating healthy is not complicated. A varied, balanced, moderate diet consisting of all five food groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, protein and dairy) is key to healthy food decisions. Eat all the food groups in the correct portions while varying the type of food your serve from each food group.
For those of us that grew up with the Food Pyramid, toss that out the window and look at MyPlate
. MyPlate shows portion sizes on a plate. This makes the information more child-friendly because we eat off of plates, not pyramids!
It may take a while to hear it, but your family will begin to say 'thank you' for the healthy meals you took the time to create!
We need to make sure that all of our Kids of STEEL are properly fueling their bodies. Just as a car cannot run without fuel, people cannot train without proper food. The more nutritious the food, the better you will feel. To learn more about healthy eating, check out our two favorite websites, Choose My Plate
and Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Tips to help you eat right:
- Make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Eat a balanced, varied and moderat diet including all 5 food groups
- Include 1/2 cup to 1 cup of fruit and vegetables with each meal
- Make half of your grain choices 100% whole grain options
- Make some of your protein and dairy choices low-fat options
- Choose healthy snacks such as cheese sticks, fruit, nuts, whole grain crackers, etc.
- Drink water before, during, and after activity and throughout the day
- Carry a reusable water bottle to help you drink more water